The former Mayer Landfill was remediated by OP-TECH on behalf of the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation through its Superfund program. The landfill operated from 1940 until it was shut down by the state in 1975. The site operated as an open face dump with periodic burning of refuse. Residential, commercial, industrial, demolition and agricultural wastes were also disposed of at the site. A localized area of soil contamination associated with weathered oil was found in the northeast corner of the landfill during the site investigation.
OP-TECH began work on the site in September 2008 and completed the project in June 2009. In order to gain access to the site for heavy equipment, OP-TECH constructed a 20 foot wide x 700 foot long construction access road and stabilized entrance into the site. Clearing and grubbing of the site allowed for construction of the road, staging of treatment equipment and staging of project equipment and materials. Trees were chipped and used as mulch to lessen the impact of potential erosion.
Work included the excavation and removal of 7,500 tons of non-hazardous solid waste consisting primarily of the weathered oil. The waste was disposed of at an off-site state permitted facility. Groundwater generated from the excavation was collected and treated on site. Upon completion of the remedial work, OP-TECH decommissioned eight existing monitoring wells and installed eight new wells.